* Tues 10/21: PTO Meeting
* Fri 10/24 Picture Re-Take Day is this Friday, Oct 24
* Wed 10/29: Spooktacular Carnival 5:30-7:30pm
* Fri 10/31: Halloween
* Wed 11/5: Conferences 4:00-8:00pm
* Thurs 11/6: Conferences 4:00-8:00pm
* Fri 11/7: NO SCHOOL-Conferences 8:00am-4:00pm
* Mon 11/10: NO SCHOOL-Teacher make up day for conferences
* Tues 11/11: NO SCHOOL-Veteran’s Day
Dear Willagillespie Families and Friends,
Greetings to you on the edge of fall. My name is David Jacobson. I am the new principal at Willagillespie. If we haven’t met, let me introduce myself and share a little of my family’s story. I grew up in Eugene. My wife Sandi and I are educators. We are in the midst of raising three boys in the Sheldon community. Drew is a freshman at Sheldon, Luke is a seventh grader at Monroe, and Kaden is a third grader at Buena Vista. In 2012 we traveled to Chile to join an international school where Sandi and the boys could strengthen their Spanish (me, not so much) and embrace life in a new culture. We returned this June, glad for the adventure and very grateful to be home and working for the best in Eugene. The boys, Sandi and I are noticeably more patriotic and more in awe of the quality of life and people in our corner of the world. This begins my nineteenth year in education, my ninth in school administration, and my first as a member of an elementary school team. I completed doctoral training in 2011 and bring a strong sense of purpose for equipping young people for the lives and dreams ahead of them. When we gather for open house, I plan to share more in terms of a vision, philosophy and collaborative approach for the education of your children at WillaG. And once our staff joins Jayme and Carrie (our secretaries), Bruce and Rick (our custodians), and me at school, I will be communicating more specifics as I learn them.
Now, for Willagillespie. To speed your way through some details, I’ll address aspects of the start of the school year and Opening Day with bullets:
- Staff: Our staff, programs, and community make WillaG a special place. A list of staff assigned to serve at Willagillespie for 2014-15 is included with this newsletter. Be aware—we may face last minute staffing changes if enrollment patterns change significantly.
- Office Hours: The office will be open to assist you during the hours of 8:00am – 3:30pm (Mon,Tues,Thurs,Fri) and 8:00am – 2:30pm on Wednesday Early Release.
- Class Lists: This year, lists will be posted Friday August 29 at 4PM.
- Open House: is scheduled for Monday September 22. Come and see our classrooms, student work, and hear from the principal.
- Communication: We need your digits! Please update email and phone information in the office. We will utilize email, the school website, and twitter to communicate school news and updates on programs and events.
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook: The handbook guides our response to attendance, behavior, and student safety. Pay close attention to explanations of bullying and harassment and how weapons are defined in relation to school. We will do all we can to ensure a safe school for everyone, emotionally and physically. Cell Phones: We permit students to use cell phones to contact family members in the event of an emergency. Otherwise, cell phones tend to be a distraction. All student phones will remain off and be kept in backpacks in the classroom.
- Cell phones used in the classroom or the bathroom will be confiscated and returned to the parent.
- Bell Schedule: The school day begins at 8:35 and ends at 2:50, with an early release at 1:50PM on Wednesday. Supervision of students begins at 8:05. Please be sure your child arrives and departs promptly. Students need to be picked up at 1:50 on Wednesdays and 2:50 on every other school day. Our staff schedule and budget do not provide early or late supervision. Creative Care provides daycare service in the morning and after school. Contact Creative Care at 541-683-7291.
- Parking: Two marked lanes merge into a single lane in the pick-up/drop-off lot. Please work with each other, merge, and be a good neighbor by respecting the designated purposes of picking up and dropping off only.
Thank you for bringing your children to Willagillespie Community School. Above all, my intention for the 2014-15 school year is this: together we will establish the conditions for everyone to grow. You will see this theme of growing spread throughout the learning environment: academically, socially, emotionally, and civically. When the conditions are right, each of us cannot help but grow. I look forward to learning and growing alongside you as we embrace another school year at WillaG.
Go Eagles. Grow Eagles!
David Jacobson, Ed.D.
Principal, Willagillespie Community School